U Matter works with individuals who are in need of that extra support and will benefit from a range of therapeutic interventions.
• We specialise in trauma work, arising as a consequence of abusive relationships; individuals who have been human trafficked either sexually or for modern day slavery. In addition to this we also provide Empowerment Self Defence in group work.
Empowerment self-defence is a violence prevention education tool which aims to reduce the incidence of abuse by integrating a program that teaches a variety of skills enable a person to recognise and prevent abuse. The aim of the tool is to help recognise abuse, coercion and boundary violations; assertive communication and personal advocacy when under stress as well as enabling someone to physically protect themselves from violence committed by anyone.
From our research it has shown that the combination of traditional therapy and physical defence work facilitates moving through trauma, the associated guilt and shame, clearing space for cognitive processing. Research shows that trauma is held within the body, consequently the physical movement goes to release the trauma enabling the cognitive processing.
Diversity is at the heart of what we do, we work with people of all ages, genders, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, education, and national origin, creating a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. In addition to English speaking, we offer services in Albanian; English; Greek; Italian; Portuguese; Spanish and Turkish.
- One-to-one talking therapies
- Trauma related interventions
- Couples therapies
- Group work and support groups
- Child Play Therapy
- Art Therapy
- ESD- Empowerment Self Defense
- Professional Coaching